Thursday, January 16, 2014

Peet's Coffee Ruined My Life..........Confessions of a Bohemian Coffee Brat

     Just like my breakfasts, I like coffee.... anytime, anywhere, as long as it's hot and hopefully fresh.  Sure I know some coffee is better than others, but as the blog title implies, I am a coffee brat, not a coffee snob.  I definitely have preferences, but as someone who likes a dash of sugar and a whole lotta cream in my coffee, I would be a fraud to say I am a coffee purist.  That's one of the reasons I chose Dunkin' Donuts as my coffee for the "Best Breakfast Items of 2013" blog I wrote, not because it is necessarily the best, but it's always consistent and hot, and tastes pretty darn good.  I am a bohemian coffee brat because I really choose my coffee by the atmosphere that surrounds it, not exactly the flavor of the roast when I am getting serious about going to get a cup of coffee.  That is how Peet's Coffee ruined my life.  Let me explain.............


     I loved, Loved, LOVED, Caribou Coffee in the Shops of Boardman Park, not just becuase it was good coffee, (I was definitely a fan of the Mocha Java Roast,) but because of the atmosphere and the people that would go there.  When I owned my marketing company, I called Caribou my East Side branch because I spent so many hours there on my computer doing consulting work for my clients.  The barista's knew my name, there was free wifi, there was a fake but calming fireplace, comfy chairs and tables with built in checkerboards.  It was great to go there with friends to just chat and people watch all of the interesting people that would come in, from high school nerds to the cool kids on campus, from business executives, to those needing a pick me up to get them through Spinning Class.  It was comfortable.  I have not been able to step inside the new Peet's Coffee that took it's place.  After taking MUCH longer than the 5 weeks that it was supposed to be renovated and re-opened, every time I drive in and look through those big glass windows, all i can see is plain ol' tables and chairs, positioned in stiff and conforming rows, in front of what looks like a cafeteria style counter.  I have never tasted their coffee, it may be fantastic, but I can't get myself to walk thru the front doors, the atmosphere is gone.


     Luckily, the Valley has a plethera of coffee houses that I do find comfortable and that I try to visit as often as I can depending on the area that I am in.  The Mocha House in Boardman has some confortable booths, free wifi, and owner Jimmy always has a smile and a hearty handshake to greet you when you come in.  The Warren Mocha House, has a relaxed feel, free wifi, and some great local bands that play on most weekends.  Starbucks in Boardman and Niles have free wifi, but not much indoor seating room, but decent patio space.  Downtown Youngstown has Joe Maxx that has been heavily involved in staying open for downtown events, has a friendly staff, free wifi, but a small seating area, that supposedly is going to be expanded with some great design innovation in the old WYTV studio space it connects to.  The new Friends Roastery in downtown Youngstown also has some great promise and although I haven't been, I can't wait to get there just with his facebook posting from the January 7th cold where they opened despite the weather and encouraged people to come in and take a free, warm beverage to someone they saw outside that needed it.  That is comfort coffee there folks.


     A few other favorites that have some atmosphere, are Peaberry's in Canfield, with free wifi, another nice fake fireplace, but just a few comfy booths.  The cafe in Barnes and Noble has the benefit of being connected to all of the books and magazines, but doesn't really have comfortable chairs and can;t help but feel more like a store than a coffee shop.  Panera has more comfort than most with lots of booths and free wifi, and possibly some of the best hazelnut coffee around.  One of the few places for coffee that just fails for me personally is the Plaza Donuts stores.  Although I admire their history in the community, I just don't find much comfort in stools around a cafeteria style, long and winding tabletop.



     So that is pretty much my coffee round up, and although most of the above do serve some kind of breakfast items or full breakfasts, I will be satisfied just thinking of them as coffee houses for now.  So I would like to know where you readers like to pick up their coffee favorites.  Are you a coffee snob, (not that there's anything wrong with that, lol,) or a bohemian like me and choose based on atmosphere instead of the blend.  I put a poll up here on the right of the blog.  Also leave comments of coffee houses in other areas of the Valley that I might have totally missed or just not been to.  I would love to hear about them.... Scott






  

No comments:

Post a Comment